Faculty/Staff Frequently Asked Questions

Can faculty and staff make appointments at the Counseling Center?

The Counseling Center offers services for students, but the university does offer similar services for university employees through the Faculty/Staff Assistance Program. They can be reached at 217-244-5312.

Can I refer a student to the Counseling Center?

If you’re concerned about a student, you can suggest she/he make an appointment, but in most cases, it’s up to a student to determine if he/she wants to do so. If you’d like to discuss how to approach a student to recommend Counseling Center services, please call us at 217-333-3704. If a student has threatened to harm him/herself and suicide is imminent, call 911 immediately. A member of the Counseling Center’s Suicide Prevention Team can be reached from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at 217-333-3704. After hours, please contact the Crisis Line at 217-359-4141.

Can someone from the Counseling Center come speak to my class or group?

Yes. We offer outreaches on a variety of topics ranging from study skills, to avoiding procrastination, to eating disorders and depression. To request n outreach, please complete this form at least two weeks in advance of when you would like the workshop to be held.

What kind of issues do students come to the Counseling Center to get help with?

Students come to the Counseling Center for a wide variety of reasons. Many of the students who come into the Center are experiencing academic difficulties, including time management issues, concentration problems, lack of motivation, or questions about study skills. Some students are having trouble adjusting to college life or are having conflict with a roommate or their parents. Many of our clients have a specific concern related to depression, anxiety, alcohol or substance abuse, eating concerns, or a similar clinical issue. Our counselors can help students understand troubling feelings and behaviors and help them to feel better in general. Many students find that one of the Counseling Center’s brochures is also helpful.

Where are you located?

The Counseling Center is located on the second floor of the Student Services Building (610 East John Street) on the corner of John and Sixth Streets.

How many sessions does the Counseling Center offer?

The Counseling Center provides short-term, individual counseling focused on helping students develop solutions to issues affecting their academic work and personal lives. Many students find that their issues can be resolved after only a couple of sessions. The Counseling Center has an extensive group therapy program and some of these groups are a longer-term treatment option. If longer-term, individual counseling would be helpful, counselors can assist with referrals to a therapist in the community.

What types of counseling services do you provide?

The Counseling Center has a diverse professional staff that works from a variety of theoretical perspectives. We provide individual, couples’ and group counseling focused on a range of common concerns shared by students. We also provide specialized assessments for attention deficit hyperactivity disorders and learning disorders, alcohol and other drug concerns, eating disturbances, suicidal behavior, and test anxiety.

What can students expect when they come to the Counseling Center?

Students are asked to complete several confidential forms that will provide their counselor with information regarding why they have scheduled an appointment and what types of concerns they want to address. The initial meeting is about 45 minutes long, and the counselor will discuss the types of services available that would be most beneficial.

Who are your counselors?

The Counseling Center has a diverse staff of mental health professionals, including counseling and clinical psychologists, social workers, doctoral interns, and practicum students. The majority of the Center’s staff are licensed within their profession – all non-licensed clinicians are supervised by licensed staff members.

Do you prescribe medication?

Some students find that medication, often in conjunction with counseling, can be useful in addressing their mental health concerns. Since the counselors at this center do not prescribe medication, we collaborate with physicians at McKinley Health Center and in the community. If you are interested in being evaluated for medication, it is necessary for you to first discuss this with a mental health counselor (either at the Counseling Center or McKinley Mental Health Unit). Your counselor may then refer you to a psychiatrist, primary care physician, or nurse practitioner who has the ability to prescribe medication. They will evaluate the appropriateness of medications in treating your symptoms and consult with you about their recommendations. A medication evaluation and any follow-up appointments at McKinley Health Center are covered by the health service fee. Appointments at other locations may be covered in part by student health insurance. Many of the most commonly prescribed psychotropic medications filled at the McKinley Pharmacy require a small copayment; the exact cost may vary depending on the medication. There are some medications that are not available.